From: Meal Planning Magic – Recipe type: Dinner – Prep time: 30 mins – Total time: 30 mins Serves: 16
A healthier, homemade version of the classic comfort food, chicken pot pie. This recipe includes instructions for making and baking right away or making ahead and freezing and baking later. NOTE: This recipe makes 2 whole pies. Make one to enjoy now and freeze another for later!
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄3 cup butter or margarine
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half or evaporated milk
- 2 cups chicken, cooked, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. pepper
- 4 unbaked pie crusts (homemade or store-bought)
TO MAKE FILLING
- Sauté the first 3 ingredients in butter in a big skillet over medium heat until tender. Add flour; stir until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth and half & half/evap. milk; cook, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in chicken, peas, salt, and pepper. Cool before pouring into pie crusts. VERY important!
- At this point you may freeze the filling in a labeled freezer safe container/bag. To prepare from frozen, read instructions below.
- Or you may also assemble the whole pie and freeze whole.
- To do that, prepare crusts. Roll them out and place the bottom crusts in the pie plates and set aside the top crusts until ready to cover. Pour filling mixture into bottom crusts and cover with top crusts. Fold edges under and crimp. Poke slits in the top (you can make a nice pattern here too!)
- Cover with foil, label and freeze. See below for preparation instructions
TO PREPARE POT PIE FROM FRESH
- Preheat oven to 190º C.
- Prepare crusts. Roll them out and place the bottom crusts in the pie plates and set aside the top crusts until ready to cover. Pour filling mixture into bottom crusts and cover with top crusts. Fold edges under and crimp. Poke slits in the top (you can make a nice pattern here too!)
- Bake assembled pie uncovered, for 30-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
TO PREPARE POT PIE FROM FROZEN
- Thaw filling in refrigerator. You might need to stir or mush the filling together to combine well and reincorporate. Assemble as described above and bake accordingly. OR you may bake the whole pie from frozen.
- To do so, preheat oven to 190º C.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, then cover with foil and bake 30 more minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting. Serves 16 (from two pies–if you’re just making one pie it will just serve 8).
Freezes very well separately or fully prepared in the crust. Try them both and see which way you prefer!
Chopped carrots ready to go.
Chopped fresh celery ready to go!
Chopped fresh cooked chicken ready to go.
Saute all the vegetables together until tender.
Simmer all the ingredients with the evaporated milk.
Everything all mixed together after the filling had thickened a bit.
Pies topped and ready to be frozen.
Pies lidded, labeled and ready to be frozen until freezer meal exchange group!