For anyone who’s only tasted canned mushroom soup before, this recipe for homemade mushroom soup will be a revelation.
Homemade, home delicious
Cooking time: 90 minutes,
Time to table: Preferably 24 hours
Makes 4 cups:
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, trimmed, chopped fine
- 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Grated nutmeg
- Bring broth to a boil in the microwave.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt the butter on medium.
- Add the onion and sweat for about 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms as they’re prepped, cook till just beginning to soften.
- Stir in flour, then slowly add hot broth, stirring the whole time.
- Bring to a boil, adjust heat to maintain a slow simmer.
- Let cook for about an hour, till mushrooms are soft.
- Stir in milk, cream and sherry; heat through but do not boil.
- Season to taste.
- Cool and refrigerate for 24 hours for flavor to develop.
- Before serving, gently rewarm but don’t let boil.
- Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Savor every spoonful.
- 220 Cal;
- 19g Tot Fat;
- 12g Sat Fat;
- 7g Carb;
- 1g Fiber;
- 327mg Sodium;
- 60mg Cholesterol;
- Weight Watchers 5 points